Saturday, May 31, 2008

The long-awaited update

Two weeks without an update? For shame!

With almost two weeks of my summer job at The Hawk Eye behind me, I'd say it's gone pretty well thus far. It didn't take me long to get back in the game, and I'm feeling much more comfortable there now than I did about halfway through my internship last summer.

I've written probably a dozen or so stories since I got back, and in this morning's paper is one that I'm pretty pleased with. Three guys from California Baptist University are kayaking down the Mississippi this summer and yesterday they stopped in Burlington for a break. They're raising awareness and money for the International Justice Mission, an organization that rescues victims of human sex trafficking. They want to raise at least $20,000 by the time they reach New Orleans in July, and so far they've already raised about $12,000. Check out their blog, it's pretty sweet.

On a sad note, last weekend I said goodbye to a very dear friend. My cat P.J. was almost 15 years old and very sick. It was with a heavy heart that I watched "Princess Jasmine" close her wide green eyes for the last time as our vet put her to sleep last Sunday. I stood as close by as I possibly could and kept my eyes on hers. I wanted to be the last person she saw before she left. More than once last weekend, I cried harder than I had cried in a long time. But after P.J. had passed, I cried mostly because I was so relieved that she was no longer in any pain. It hurts sometimes to go to sleep without her curled up beside me, purring loudly and rubbing her head against my hand...but I know I did what was best for her.


1993


2005

1 comments:

Karen Bergh, MPS said...

Megan:

I am in marketing at California Baptist University and have worked with Tim Cahill and several other students regarding the publicity during their "Upstream Battle" kayaking sojourn down the Mississippi River. Your blog post showed up in my Google Alerts today...I was wondering if you could send me a link to the story you wrote so we can save it in our clippings archives. For some reason, it isn't showing up in my Google Alerts! It is a great mission, and we are watching for their news along the way.

Blessings,

professorbergh.blogspot.com

 

Of handshakes and heartbreak. © 2008. Design By: SkinCorner